Header Schemes

Navigation Menu

Navigation Menu


Frequently asked questions about project management. Researcher services. University of Navarra

Nested Applications


Frequently asked questions about managing a project

Nested Applications



You should contact your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service. If you haven't been assigned one, you can send an email to proyectos_id@unav.es to request one. This coordinator will advise you on the steps you should take to start your project.

Basically, you will need the text of the call for applications, the final decision and the application form you submitted to the awarding body.

An economic unit is an eight-digit code that identifies your subsidy and is used for the internal management of the research at the University of Navarra.

Economic units are opened by the financial coordinator responsible for each project at the Research Management Service. Financial coordinators will open each economic unit when they have all of the information they require to do so.


In order to incur expenses, you must have been assigned and provided with access to a economic unit. You will also need access to the Purchasing Portal and the expenditure request system Financial Management Portal (PoGE).

Personal coordinators work in the Research Management Service's Department of National Calls for Grant Applications and are responsible for the administrative and financial management of subsidies relating to a researcher's research activity.

The money received for each subsidy must be spent on the items for which it was requested. This does not mean that no changes can be made to the initial budget, but this must always be carried out under the supervision of a financial coordinator from the Research Management Service.


The researcher responsible for the subsidy must request authorization for this person via email. The email must include the person's full name and the economic unit for which authorization is being requested.

This depends on the terms of the call, but it is generally the recipient's obligation to indicate in each publication any grants received. It may also be necessary to request the funding body's permission to publish results.

This is a meeting held between the researcher responsible for the subsidy and his or her personal coordinator from the Research Management Service. The meeting will include an overview of the conditions attached to the grant that will affect the project's development. Above all, it will address the financial needs of the project by assessing any requirements for changes and the best way of dealing with these using the budget awarded. The meeting is not obligatory but it is recommended to ensure that the project runs smoothly.


In general, the owner of the project's results is the body that received the financial aid. However, there are cases in which the funding body signs an agreement for shared ownership of the results, or even the exclusive rights to ownership or exploitation. More information. If you have any questions about intellectual and industrial property rights, you can contact the Department of Intellectual and Industrial Property


Follow up

The accounts to which each researcher has access can be viewed through the Economic Information Program. However, personal coordinators are available to resolve any queries researchers may have in this area.

Yes, you can request advance payment for expenses and travel expenses via the Financial Management Portal (PoGE).

No, you do not have to purchase travel from the El Corte Inglés travel agency, but we highly recommend that you do so. Should you find cheaper travel conditions than those offered by this travel agency, you should contact your financial coordinator so that the El Corte Inglés travel agency is made aware of the situation. In any case, travel invoices should always be submitted to the grant's beneficiary body (the University of Navarra).

Yes. Depending on the financing organization, there are limits to the amount that can be charged to certain projects. In cases where these limits have not been formally established, the University of Navarra's own budgetary austerity recommendations should be followed.

The financial coordinator at the Research Management Service must be consulted regarding any changes you wish to make to your original budget. This coordinator will consider whether or not it is necessary to inform the financing organization and whether or not to provide advance payment of the expenditure relating to the change, if approved.

Adding or removing research team members must be carried out through the coordinators at the Research Management Service, who will inform principal investigators of the process and help them submit the required documentation. More information.

No, not normally. In some cases, financing organizations may allow certain changes to the projected expenditure, but you should always consult the coordinators at the Research Management Service before incurring any unforeseen expenses.

Your first obligation is to advertise the job vacancy. You will also need to contact the University of Navarra or Clínica Universidad de Navarra Personnel Management Service to ensure that you conduct the recruitment process in accordance with the provisions of employment law. You must also comply with the salary caps set for each category by the financing organization and the University itself.  In order to advertise the vacancy on the Internet, you should contact your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service or send an email to proyectos_id@unav.es. You can also check the offers advertised by the University of Navarra.

If the cost of equipment exceeds €18,000, you must obtain three quotes from different suppliers, and if you choose not to purchase the cheapest, you must justify your reasons in writing. If the required equipment is only available from one supplier, this also needs to be explained in writing by the principal investigator.

Some calls indicate the maximum budget percentages that may be spent on subcontracting, while others do not. The rules for purchasing equipment also apply here. See question regarding equipment.

The majority of calls include a condition regarding publication of the source of financial aid received and indicate the process for doing so. Principal investigators must consider this obligation every time they submit an article for publication.

The budgetary items in the application forms for each call for applications generally do not coincide with the items that appear in the Economic Information program. There is not always a direct equivalent, and this can cause problems when trying to interpret the information in this program. The researcher's manual includes an example, or you can request information from your personal coordinator.

Since January 1, 2012, the University has accounted for all expenditure related to research projects before VAT. Therefore, the amount shown in BI will often be lower than the actual amount.

Indirect costs are budgetary items included in some calls to cover costs that cannot be allocated directly to the project through an invoice. These normally include electricity, water, equipment maintenance costs, etc.

These are the direct costs of carrying out the research project, not including staff costs.


These are the total costs of the project, including staff costs.

As a general rule, whenever you receive or even apply for funding from a financing organization other than the one that has awarded funding, the new financing agency should be informed. If both grants amount to less than the total cost of the project, there should not be a problem. Sometimes, the call for applications itself precludes the possibility of receiving funds from another organization by establishing a regime of incompatibilities.

It depends on the call. Sometimes it is not possible, since this is considered an indirect expense.

Not usually, but if in doubt, check with your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service.

It depends on the call. If a project lasts for more than one year, you can usually transfer the remainder from one year to the next, but this is not the case for all projects. For example, it is not permitted in the PSE or INNPACTO programs, so if in doubt, check with your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service.

No. It is not necessary to include all receipts to reclaim expenses. In conjunction with your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service, the principal investigator assesses whether expenses ought to be accounted for on a receipt-by-receipt basis or estimated in relation to general project spending and accounting. Whatever the case, even if these expenses are to be covered by an allowance, several receipts should be enclosed to account for the trip.

Attendance at conferences should be accounted for with a registration receipt and the relevant certificate of attendance.

You can purchase consumables through the Purchasing Portal.




Audit and Closure