Blessed Álvaro del Portillo
In Rome, with the founder of Opus Dei (1946-1975)
He traveled to Rome several times at the request of the founder of Opus Dei, and moved there permanently in 1946. Some years later, in Rome, he obtained a doctorate in Canon Law, with a thesis titled "A new juridical state of perfection. Secular institues". He was the Counselor of Opus Dei in Italy (1948-1951) and Rector of the Roman College of the Holy Cross (1948-1954). During this time, he was also in charge of obtaining the necessary funding for the construction of Villa Tevere, the central headquarters of Opus Dei. He also endeavored to strengthen the activities of Opus Dei in Rome and other Italian cities, in addition to traveling with the founder of Opus Dei on his trips to other countries in Europe.
Del Portillo was named a Knight of the Order of Malta by Pope Pious XII. During the Second Vatican Council he participated as a specialist on several ante-preparatory and preparatory Commissions, and held the position of secretary of the conciliar Commission "De disciplina cleri et populi christiani". In 1964 he was named Consultant of the Commission in charge of reforming the Code of Canon Law, and in 1966, Consultant to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. From 1972 to 1975 he accompanied Saint Josemaría on many trips to Spain, Portugal and the Americas.