Last update: April 29, 2021
Before summer starts it is important to check the expiration date of your TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) in order to start the renewal process at the right time. Since Immigration procedures tend to experience considerable delays, it is important to start them as soon as possible, without waiting for the academic year to begin or the TIE expires.
Take into consideration the following:
1. Expiration date: Check the expiration date of your TIE. According to the immigration law, you may start the renewal process as early as 60 days before the expiration date and up to 90 days after.
2. Enrollment: As soon as you have formalized enrollment for 2021-2022, start the renewal process (taking into account the deadlines already mentioned in point 1). As the request is done on their online platform, it can be done from anywhere in the world you are this summer.
3. Digital Certificate: It is a type of personalized digital identification that allows you to access the application platform and carry out the procedure.
If you have already requested the certificate, verify that it is still valid. You can check if it is still active here: https://bit.ly/3e3qhcM.
- If you do not have a Digital Certificate or it has expired, you must fill out the application online and then verify it in person in an administrative office. If you are not in Pamplona, the easiest thing is to contact the Official College of Administrative Managers of Navarra and ask them to carry out the entire process of your extension on your behalf. (Contact details in point 5)
4. For details on how to do the renewal process yourself, you can consult our updated manual: https://bit.ly/3adOWdL
5. As an alternative you can contact the Official College of Administrative Managers of Navarra and ask them to carry out the renewal process on your behalf (online process, request for an appointment for fingerprints, etc.).For more information about the process: https://bit.ly/3nncX7t
If you need more information, do not hesitate to contact the International Relations Office. Our contact email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last update: September 16, 2020
New way to renew the TIE
1) The University has signed an agreement with the Official College of Administrative Managers of Navarra for the management of renewals of the TIE (Foreigner Identification Card). With the payment of the corresponding fee, these professionals will take care of all the management: application, uploading of documents and management of the physical card. It will not be necessary for the student to obtain a digital certificate. The student will only have to go to the Immigration Office to leave their fingerprints.
The they will also be able to process Autorización de Regreso (Return Authorizations), without having to go to the Immigration Office.
2) The student may also continue to manage the renewal of the TIE on their own using the manual available here.
3) We take this opportunity to remind all new students that they must go through the International Relations Service (Central Building) to manage their first TIE. The deadline for submitting documentation has been extended to October 7.
Latest update: July 20, 2020
The European Union document is a recommendation that each country of the Union has to adapt. Spain has published in the BOE (Official State Gazette) an order specifying that people with study stay authorization (student visa or TIE) can enter Spain even if their country is banned. They will also have to provide proof of health insurance valid for the whole period of stay. Entry in Spain will not be allowed until 15 days prior to the start of the academic year (Start of the academic year is on September 1).
We recommend direct flights to Spain whenever possible.
Remember that the TIEs of students that expired after December 15, 2019 are still valid to enter Spain. Its validity is extended for 6 months from the end of the alarm state.
Please note: If you have a TIE that has expired before December 15 and you did not complete the process, you will need to apply for a Visa through your local Spanish Consulate. Upon returning to Spain, you will need to bring the valid Visa, the documents of your TIE in process, and your health insurance policy. The visa can be a student visa or a travel visa depending on your particular case. If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com
Latest update: July 5, 2020
How does the decision of July 1 on countries banned from entering the external borders of the European Union affect me?
The European Union document is a recommendation that each country of the Union has to adapt. Spain has published in the BOE (Official State Gazette) an order specifying that people with study stay authorization (visa or TIE) can enter Spain even if their country is banned.
Remember that the TIEs of studies that expired after December 15, 2019 are still valid to enter Spain. Its validity is extended for 6 months from the end of the alarm state.
If you have received a notice from the Extranjeria Office that your TIE card is ready, you will be able to pick it up in person this week starting Tuesday (June 2nd). Their office will be open for you to pick up the cards every Tuesday and Thursday from 15h to 18h.
SUMMARY of Immigration law (BOE) issued on May 20th
CASE 1: If your TIE expires during the current alarm state (since March 14, 2020 and currently not yet finalized) or expired during the previous 90 days, your legal residence is automatically extended from the day after the expiration date of the TIE. The extension will last 6 months, starting from the end date of the alarm status.
CASE 2: If your TIE expired during the alarm state or 3 previous months, you started the renewal process and you had not yet received a response to the request, you also benefit from an automatic extension.
CASE 3: If your TIE expired during the alarm period or 3 previous months, you started the renewal and received a positive response to the extension, the automatic extension will be applied if it authorizes you to stay longer in Spain than the extension you have received. It does not matter that you could not keep the appointment for fingerprints due to the state of alarm.
Therefore, if you find yourself in any of these cases, your TIE, even if it appears as expired, it will still be valid. In these cases you can return to start the 2021-22 course only with your passport and the expired TIE. But keep in mind that, 6 months after the end of the alarm state, you will have to request another extension, as usual.
CASE 4: Incoming exchange or International Foundation Program students: if you are still in Spain with a 180-day visa that expired during the alarm period (from March 14), and you cannot return to your country, your visa will be automatically extended for an additional 3 months from the end of the state of alarm.
Questions or concerns? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Fecha de vencimiento: Verifica la fecha de vencimiento de tu TIE. La normativa permite solicitar la prórroga hasta 60 días antes del vencimiento y hasta 90 días después de la fecha de vencimiento.
2. Matrícula: En cuanto tengas la matrícula formalizada para 2021-2022, procura solicitar la prórroga (teniendo en cuenta los plazos ya mencionados en el punto 1). Como la solicitud es telemática, se puede realizar desde cualquier lugar del mundo donde te encuentres este verano.
3. Certificado Digital: Es el tipo de identificación personal que te permite acceder a la plataforma de solicitudes y realizar el trámite.
Si ya has solicitado la prórroga alguna vez, verifica que tu Certificado Digital aún esté activo. Puedes consultar si sigue activo aquí: https://bit.ly/3e3qhcM
- Si no tienes Certificado Digital o ha caducado, deberás gestionarlo presencialmente. Si no estás en Pamplona, lo más sencillo es contactar con el Colegio Oficial de Gestores Administrativos de Navarra y pedirles que realicen en tu nombre todo el proceso completo de tu prórroga. (Datos de contacto en el punto 5).
4. Para obtener detalles sobre cómo realizar tú mismo la solicitud de prórroga, puedes consultar nuestro manual actualizado: https://bit.ly/3adOWdL
5. Si prefieres no encargarte directamente de todo el trámite de solicitud de prórroga, puedes contactar con el Colegio Oficial de Gestores Administrativos de Navarra y pedirles que realicen en tu nombre todo el proceso completo (trámite telemático, solicitud de cita para huellas, etc).Para más información:https://bit.ly/3nncX7t