How should I manage my project?

If you already have a subsidy for your project, for traveling and establishing contacts with other research groups or organizing an event, this page contains the information you need to manage it correctly. You can also download a researcher's manual and a frequently asked questions document if you would like a more detailed breakdown of the information on this page.

For each subsidy, you should follow the process outlined below. Throughout the whole process, you will be supported by the Research Management Service through the International Project Office and the Department of National Calls for Grant Applications.

  • What should I do once I have been awarded a subsidy?

    You should contact your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service. If you haven't been assigned one, you can send an email to to request one. This coordinator will advise you on the steps you should take to start your project.


  • What documentation do I need to start my project?

    Basically, you will need the text of the call for applications, the final decision and the application form you submitted to the awarding body.

  • What is an economic unit?

    An economic unit is an eight-digit code that identifies your subsidy and is used for the internal management of the research at the University of Navarra.

  • Who opens an economic unit and when?

    Economic units are opened by the financial coordinator responsible for each project at the Research Management Service. Financial coordinators will open each economic unit when they have all of the information they require to do so.

  • How and when can I start to incur expenses?

    In order to incur expenses, you must have been assigned and provided with access to a economic unit. You will also need access to the Purchasing Portal and the expenditure request system Financial Management Portal (PoGE).

  • Who are the personal coordinators and what do they do?

    Personal coordinators work in the Research Management Service's Department of National Calls for Grant Applications and are responsible for the administrative and financial management of subsidies relating to a researcher's research activity.

  • For what purpose can I use the money awarded?

    The money received for each subsidy must be spent on the items for which it was requested. This does not mean that no changes can be made to the initial budget, but this must always be carried out under the supervision of a financial coordinator from the Research Management Service.

  • I would like someone else on my team to be able to authorize expenditure. How can I do this?

    The researcher responsible for the subsidy must request authorization for this person via email. The email must include the person's full name and the economic unit for which authorization is being requested.

  • Can I negotiate the budget allocation with the funding body?

    In general, no.

  • What are my duties regarding publications resulting from my project?

    This depends on the terms of the call, but it is generally the recipient's obligation to indicate in each publication any grants received. It may also be necessary to request the funding body's permission to publish results.

  • What is the project launch meeting?

    This is a meeting held between the researcher responsible for the subsidy and his or her personal coordinator from the Research Management Service. The meeting will include an overview of the conditions attached to the grant that will affect the project's development. Above all, it will address the financial needs of the project by assessing any requirements for changes and the best way of dealing with these using the budget awarded. The meeting is not obligatory but it is recommended to ensure that the project runs smoothly.

  • Who owns the results of my project?

    In general, the owner of the project's results is the body that received the financial aid. However, there are cases in which the funding body signs an agreement for shared ownership of the results, or even the exclusive rights to ownership or exploitation. More information. If you have any questions about intellectual and industrial property rights, you can contact the Department of Intellectual and Industrial Property.

  • Where can I consult the status of my accounts?

    The accounts to which each researcher has access can be viewed through the Economic Information Program. However, personal coordinators are available to resolve any queries researchers may have in this area.

  • Can I request advance payment for travel expenses?

    Yes, you can request advance payment for expenses and travel expenses via the Financial Management Portal (PoGE).

  • Do I have to purchase travel from the El Corte Inglés travel agency?

    No, you do not have to purchase travel from the El Corte Inglés travel agency, but we highly recommend that you do so. Should you find cheaper travel conditions than those offered by this travel agency, you should contact your financial coordinator so that the El Corte Inglés travel agency is made aware of the situation. In any case, travel invoices should always be submitted to the grant's beneficiary body (the University of Navarra).

  • Is there a limit to the travel and other expenses I can reclaim under my projects?

    Yes. Depending on the financing organization, there are limits to the amount that can be charged to certain projects. In cases where these limits have not been formally established, the University of Navarra's own budgetary austerity recommendations should be followed.

  • I wish to make a change to the budget available for my project. How do I go about this? Who should I contact?

    The financial coordinator at the Research Management Service must be consulted regarding any changes you wish to make to your original budget. This coordinator will consider whether or not it is necessary to inform the financing organization and whether or not to provide advance payment of the expenditure relating to the change, if approved.

  • I'd like to add or remove a member of my project's research team. How can I do this?

    Adding or removing research team members must be carried out through the coordinators at the Research Management Service, who will inform principal investigators of the process and help them submit the required documentation. More information.

  • Can I incur expenses that were not initially included in my project?

    No, not normally. In some cases, financing organizations may allow certain changes to the projected expenditure, but you should always consult the coordinators at the Research Management Service before incurring any unforeseen expenses.

  • What are my obligations if I wish to recruit someone for my project?

    Your first obligation is to advertise the job vacancy. You will also need to contact the University of Navarra or Clínica Universidad de Navarra Personnel Management Service to ensure that you conduct the recruitment process in accordance with the provisions of employment law. You must also comply with the salary caps set for each category by the financing organization and the University itself.  In order to advertise the vacancy on the Internet, you should contact your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service or send an email to You can also check the offers advertised by the University of Navarra.

  • Purchasing equipment

    If the cost of equipment exceeds €18,000, you must obtain three quotes from different suppliers, and if you choose not to purchase the cheapest, you must justify your reasons in writing. If the required equipment is only available from one supplier, this also needs to be explained in writing by the principal investigator.

  • Subcontracting

    Some calls indicate the maximum budget percentages that may be spent on subcontracting, while others do not. The rules for purchasing equipment also apply here. See question regarding equipment.

  • How do I meet my publication obligations?

    The majority of calls include a condition regarding publication of the source of financial aid received and indicate the process for doing so. Principal investigators must consider this obligation every time they submit an article for publication.

  • I don't understand the correspondence between my project items and the expenditure items I see in BI (Oracle).

    The budgetary items in the application forms for each call for applications generally do not coincide with the items that appear in the Economic Information program. There is not always a direct equivalent, and this can cause problems when trying to interpret the information in this program. The researcher's manual includes an example, or you can request information from your personal coordinator.

  • When I incur expenses, why does BI not reflect them in full?

    Since January 1, 2012, the University has accounted for all expenditure related to research projects before VAT. Therefore, the amount shown in BI will often be lower than the actual amount.

  • What are indirect costs?

    Indirect costs are budgetary items included in some calls to cover costs that cannot be allocated directly to the project through an invoice. These normally include electricity, water, equipment maintenance costs, etc.

  • What are marginal costs?

    These are the direct costs of carrying out the research project, not including staff costs.

  • What are total costs?

    These are the total costs of the project, including staff costs.

  • What happens if I receive another grant for the same project?

    As a general rule, whenever you receive or even apply for funding from a financing organization other than the one that has awarded funding, the new financing agency should be informed. If both grants amount to less than the total cost of the project, there should not be a problem. Sometimes, the call for applications itself precludes the possibility of receiving funds from another organization by establishing a regime of incompatibilities.

  • Can I include stationery in my expenses?

    It depends on the call. Sometimes it is not possible, since this is considered an indirect expense.

  • Can I include representation expenses?

    Not usually, but if in doubt, check with your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service.

  • What happens if I have money left over one year? Can I spend it the following year?

    It depends on the call. If a project lasts for more than one year, you can usually transfer the remainder from one year to the next, but this is not the case for all projects. For example, it is not permitted in the PSE or INNPACTO programs, so if in doubt, check with your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service.

  • How can I reclaim my expenses? Can these expenses be reclaimed without receipts?

    No. It is not necessary to include all receipts to reclaim expenses. In conjunction with your personal coordinator at the Research Management Service, the principal investigator assesses whether expenses ought to be accounted for on a receipt-by-receipt basis or estimated in relation to general project spending and accounting. Whatever the case, even if these expenses are to be covered by an allowance, several receipts should be enclosed to account for the trip.

  • How do I account for my attendance at a conference?

    Attendance at conferences should be accounted for with a registration receipt and the relevant certificate of attendance.

  • How can I purchase consumables?

    You can purchase consumables through the Purchasing Portal.

  • I'm responsible for preparing the scientific justification, but who will prepare the financial justification for my project?

    Financial justifications are prepared by the financial coordinator at the Research Management Service.

  • What conditions must an invoice meet in order to be accepted?

    In order to be accepted for reclaiming expenses under an official project, invoices should be made out to the University of Navarra, their date of issue must fall within the project's implementation period, and they must have been paid within this period or during the project's justification period.

  • I have an invoice for a repair. Can this be reclaimed?

    It depends on the call for applications under which the project was approved, but it is not normally possible to reclaim such expenses, since they are considered indirect costs.

  • What documentation should be submitted for the financial justification?

    It depends on the call. A list of expenses incurred, copies of invoices, payment documents, payslips, TC2 documents, time sheets, etc., are generally submitted.

  • How are stays and travel accounted for?

    Travel and stays in cities other than the research team member's own city are accounted for either with a certificate from the host center (in the case of stays), certificates of attendance at conferences, seminars, etc., or meal receipts for other kinds of trips.

  • Can I substitute some items for others?

    It depends on the call. Some calls allow for a certain amount of variation between items without the need to notify the financing organization, but if this limit is exceeded, all items must be communicated and spending is not permitted without the explicit approval of the financing organization.

  • I've been summoned to a project assessment or follow-up meeting. What is this?

    This is a session in which the ministry commission requests information from the principal investigators of certain projects in order to determine their current status. During these sessions, several projects in the same area will be assessed, and questions will be asked regarding scientific and financial aspects of each project.

  • I am a project coordinator. Am I responsible for all members' information?

    Project coordinators are generally only responsible for the scientific coordination of the project, since participating members are responsible for the financial justification of their expenses. In some projects, the coordinator is also responsible for submitting members' financial information, but not always.

  • What is a financial audit and what does it involve?

    A project audit is a comprehensive review of the documentation that justifies the expenditure incurred in one year of the project, or during the entire project, carried out by independent auditors. This audit can be carried out over a variable period of time from the moment the project ends (up to five years later). In some cases, this audit is required for every justification submitted to the financing organization. This does not mean that the project will not be subject to an additional expenditure audit later.

  • What are my obligations vis-à-vis audits by the financing organization?

    These mainly involve providing the auditor with access to the material acquired under the project, as well as the results of the project (articles, posters, websites, etc.). The principal investigator must also be available to answer any questions that the auditor may have regarding the expenditure under review.

  • Who will deal with the auditors?

    The financial coordinators at the Research Management Service have the main responsibility for dealing with auditors and preparing all documentation required. The principal investigator, or a designated team member, must be available to attend to them if they require access to the material acquired (equipment, literature, etc.) or if they need clarification on spending not directly derived from the information held by the financial coordinators.

  • What documentation is required by the auditors?

    The auditors will request the original documents that support the expenses reclaimed in each justification: invoices, payment documents, staff contracts, equipment quotes, TC2 documents, payslips, proof of publications, books and equipment purchased, etc.

  • What happens if there are non-eligible expenses?

    The auditors will issue a provisional audit report, which will list any non-eligible expenses. Following a period in which the beneficiary body may appeal as it sees fit, the auditors will issue a final report that may include non-eligible expenses. In this case, the amount of these expenses must be refunded to the financing organization. The project's financial coordinators are responsible for this process.

  • What happens if I do not spend my whole budget by the time my project ends?

    It depends on the result of the corresponding justification. If all expenses have been justified and accepted by the financing organization, the resulting surplus may be transferred to the reserve accounts of the principal investigator or corresponding department. If not all projected expenses have been reclaimed, the surplus must be refunded to the financing organization.

  • What happens if there is a shortfall by the time my project ends?

    If, by the time the project ends, there have been more expenses than were projected in the budget, the shortfall will also be transferred to a reserve economic unit.

  • When is a project closed?

    A project is closed at the end of the period of implementation, whether this is the period initially approved by the financing organization or one subsequently approved as the result of an extension.

  • When is an economic unit closed?¿Cuándo se cierra una unidad económica?

    An economic unit is closed when the project has been completed, its expenditure has been justified and approved by the financing organization, and any applicable refunds made.  The financial coordinator at the Research Management Service is responsible for this process.

International Project Office

Muga Building
Avda. Pío XII, 53
31008 Pamplona

Department of National Calls for Grant Applications

Muga Building
Avda. Pío XII, 53
31008 Pamplona