Personal features and educational experiences of Adult High School Students (AHS)
To broadcast the results, and in an attempt to make a real impact on the population through the research, the project has two main activities: producing a video and holding a session on adult education.
It was filmed at different times in different places:
University of Navarra, recording researchers
Félix Urabayen: filming students and the AHS director
University and Félix Urabayen: recording images
Session on "Adult High Schools. Strengths, needs and ways of improving"
From the outset, the project intended to organise and hold a session to bring together professionals and researchers interested in adult secondary education.
4 pm Welcome and opening the session
● Ángel Sobrino: Associate Dean of Research at the School of Education and Psychology, University of Navarra
● Ander Domblás García: Service Director of Academic Affairs and Equal Opportunities, Department of Education.
● Javier Fernández: Managing Director of the Caja Navarra Foundation.
● Carmen Jusué Simonena: Director of UNED Pamplona, Associate Centre.
● Maite Aznárez: Main Researcher on the Research Project, University of Navarra.
4.30 pm Current situation of adult high schools: Strengths and
● Fernando Carbajo López. Director of the ‘Félix Urabayen’ Navarra Adult High School.
5 pm Presentation of findings
● Maite Aznárez Sanado, Gonzalo Arrondo Ostiz, Sarah Carrica Ochoa, project researchers.
In this part of the session, the sociodemographic profile was described along with the social-professional characteristics and testimonies from students. In addition, results were presented for personal variables related to the education field and dropping out.
6 pm Coffee break
6.30 - 8 pm Round table discussion: Needs and suggestions to improve Adult Education
Moderated by: María Ángeles Sotés Elizalde: Professor at the School of Education and Psychology, University of Navarra
o Fernando Carbajo López: Director of the ‘Félix Urabayen’ Navarra Adult Education Secondary School.
o Pedro Gónzalez Felipe: School guidance counsellor, Professor at the University of Navarra, Former President of the Navarra School Council.
o Esther Monterrubio Ariznabarreta: Department of Education, Director of the Vocational Training Service.
o Fernando Oscoz Renedo: Guidance Counsellor at the Cuatrovientos Integrated Centre.
o Which personal / psychological variables are considered fundamental to prevent students from dropping out?
o Are these types of variables worked on in Adult High Schools? How? Share experiences.
o How can we work on skills with a very wide-ranging student base? Share experiences.
o Which skills are considered necessary for this type of student to find a job?
o What type of needs remain in Adult Education? Suggestions for improvement.
8 pm Session closure and distribution of certificates.