Origin, Development and Purpose
The School of Canon Law, the School of Theology and the School of Ecclesiastical Philosophy constitute the University of Navarra's Schools of Ecclesiastical Studies, a corporate work of Opus Dei, founded by St. Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer.
The School of Canon Law started its activities as the Institute of Canon Law in 1959 and was established by the Holy See as a School in 1960. Its academic degrees have full canonical validity. We train students to become law specialists with an in-depth understanding of canon law and the right of states with respect to religion, while providing them with a well-rounded background in fundamental legal disciplines. Furthermore, the close contact between the School of Canon Law, the School of Theology and the School of Ecclesiastical Philosophy makes it possible for students to maintain contact with theological and philosophical research.
In recent years, more than 800 students have obtained the licentiate degree. More than half of these also went on to obtain a doctoral degree. The School has organized many academic events, meetings and conferences; in 1976 and in 1998 it hosted the third and 10th International Congress of Canon Law, respectively.
Since 1978, the School of Canon Law has been located in the Ecclesiastical Studies Building, which also houses the School of Theology and the School of Ecclesiastical Philosophy on the University of Navarra campus. The School is regulated by its own statutes.